Number 29 Clerkenwell Green has been serving ale to thirsty Londoners since 1720 when the tavern which stood here had a small brewery attached. In 1805 it was known as the Fox and French horn and, following an interlude as offices and workshops in the 1920s, returned to its current role as a public house in November 2004 when it became known simply as The Green. Clekenwell takes its name from the Clerks' Well which you can still see through a glass window on Farringdon Lane. While the area around Clekenwell Green may not have much in the way of greenery it still retains a village vibe - appealing and unexpected for such a central location - with St James' church in the middle. The Green attracts a suited city crowd, drawn in by the lively bar and real ales. On the modern European menu there's always a choice of fresh fish and meat dishes, homemade pies and puddings with pretty much the same menu served both downstairs and in the quieter first floor dining room.