The historic Flask pub in Hampstead used to be called the Thatched House at the beginning of the 18th century when Hampstead was a rural village fashionable for its spa waters. The waters were bottled here in the local pub and sold to taverns and coffee houses in London for their 'medicinal' properties. But in 1874 the pub was rebuilt and the name changed to The Flask and many of the Victorian features remain today - fireplaces, tiling and wood panelling. The centrepiece of the bar is a listed wooden partition separating the two front rooms which dates from the 1880s, the glass panels on the bar side having been painted by Belgian painter Jan Van Beers, son of the Flemish poet of the same name. More recently, in the 1960s, comedians Peter Cook (whose wife Lin Chong lived nearby in Flask Walk) and Dudley Moore used to hang out here. A sympathetic refurbishment by Young's' in 2007 has, to the relief of regulars, meant this is still very much a traditional pub - dartboard, card table, no music - but with an improved food offering and more light opening it up to a new audience.