Soiled Underwear found in the nightstand drawer; No hot Water; Out of Service Elevator, etc.
Apr 23, 2017
1. The experience was horrid. Truly a repulsive hotel.
2. This hotel is NOT a 5 Star property. More like a one star.
3. I was in the hotel’s building...
1. The experience was horrid. Truly a repulsive hotel. 2. This hotel is NOT a 5 Star property. More like a one star. 3. I was in the hotel’s building 4, a four-story brownstone. 4. When I was getting ready for bed, I opened the nightstand\dresser drawer to find two pairs of men's soiled underwear (see attached image). 5. When I attempted to telephone the front desk as to the soiled underwear, I found that the phone's headset was inoperable. Therefore, I made the call by speaker phone. An employee came and retrieved the underwear carefully, holding them away from his body, by his fingertips. 6. Nearly a day went by and only after I wrote management twice, requesting compensation for the occurrence, did a hotel employee respond. My compensation request was denied. 7. The morning after the discovery of the underwear, I realized that room did not have hot water. 8. Yet again, the hotel management was initially unresponsive. 9. Although, I had a do not disturb sign on the door, and that management knew I was out with my group, and would return, a person entered my room anyway and fixed the hot water situation as well as the phone. I was disturbed that a person entered when the sign was on the door. When I complained by email, a person, not the manager, apologized. 10. Additionally, breakfast runs until 11am. When I arrived to the hotel’s restaurant about 950am ---at which I was to have a breakfast meal I had pre-paid for—[I arrived] to find the buffet’s offering to be skimpy ---just about everything had run-out. Empty trays\baskets which [had] had food offerings, but now, no longer.
11. The next day, my group left early and returned about 7p. Once again, I had a do not disturb sign on my door, yet AGAIN, the sign was ignored and a house keeping person had entered. 12. Additionally, when we returned at about 7p, the elevator in my building was out of order. A colleague who suffers from a disability which interferes with her walking, was stranded on the first floor, her room on the fourth floor. I waited with her for nearly 45 minutes (in the hallway) waiting for management to address the problem. What had to be the most offensive and outrageous conduct by the hotel’s management was that of the manager who told us a man was working on the elevator (as we stood in the first level hallway). This was a bold face untruth. The elevator was in view, dark, no power and the door partially open. The management’s patronizing approach of lying was unacceptable. The next day, the elevator was still out of order but that there was out of order sign affixed to the nearby wall. 12. My efforts to talk with the hotel manager were rebuffed. 13. The staff spends much of its time addressing a myriad of customer complaints. The responses are non-responsive. 14. I notice from other reviews that the hotel management writes a response which in my opinion is wholly insincere. I guess if the hotel does not respond, it is more of a negative. The reality is that this hotel is horrid place. This is because in large part of unresponsive staff (as described in the aforementioned) and management which does not compensate people for the hotel’s mishaps. 15. A few days after I checked out my bill was reduced by 100.00. This mere amount in no way is fair compensation for the troubles described. 16. I caution readers to treat suspiciously, any response to my review by the hotel.
We stayed at the Athenaeum in a residence apartment from 13th to 22nd April 2017 - a family of 4. I have read some of the reviews and I think...
We stayed at the Athenaeum in a residence apartment from 13th to 22nd April 2017 - a family of 4. I have read some of the reviews and I think the hotel receives unjust criticism. Some people just like to complain. Great location and great service, and if you're a family with small kids, the apartments are great. The staff was very polite and courteous, and always responded to what we wanted. Positive criticisms for the hotel - please get a proper reception desk, and it would help if the bathrooms were a tad bigger...! This will put you firmly in the 5 star category.
If you remember the Athenaeum hotel of the past, you may be a little disappointed by its new incarnation. The public rooms have been refurbished in a modern international style-...
If you remember the Athenaeum hotel of the past, you may be a little disappointed by its new incarnation. The public rooms have been refurbished in a modern international style- to be fair, the hotel always tried to be a little 'edgy' about design. However, the sense of place (i.e. London) has been lost. You could be anywhere in the world. The nightclub-like bar seems to be targeting a younger market, and is no longer club-like. The restaurant (only seen for breakfast) was high-density with small tables. For about £30, with an additional 12.5% service charge, I might have liked someone to bring me an orange juice rather than serve myself! Ironically, the bedrooms seemed unchanged- featuring armchairs from the previous refurbishment, that illustrate the triumph of design over function. If you have a great view over Green Park, why would you want a room layout based on chairs looking into the room? Only when you enter the gorgeous Art Deco marble-clad bathrooms do you remember the history of this hotel. Despite my misgivings, it must be said that the staff remain as efficient and caring as ever. If your looking for a well located premium hotel, this could be for you- particularly if you like an 'international' environment. However, if you are looking for an idiosyncratic slice of English 'class' you may be disappointed.
We just got married and have a break between the wedding and the honeymoon so came up to London for the weekend and stayed inThe Athenaeum. When the chap at...
We just got married and have a break between the wedding and the honeymoon so came up to London for the weekend and stayed inThe Athenaeum. When the chap at the reception asked if we were in London for anything special and we explained, we were immediately upgraded to a suite, and a congratulatory dessert and card from the staff arrived at our door shortly thereafter. The staff are lovely, the hotel is fantastically located in central London and it's made a great start to our married life together. If you're in London and can afford it, stay here!
Recently returned from another enjoyable stay at the Athenaeum and this time we received a complimentary upgrade to a suite. It was fabulous, thank you! I actually love everything about...
Recently returned from another enjoyable stay at the Athenaeum and this time we received a complimentary upgrade to a suite. It was fabulous, thank you! I actually love everything about this hotel: the location, my favourite in London; the friendly staff; the breakfast; the spa; and, of course, our spacious, luxurious suite with the most comfortable bed ever and my personal 'must have' a Nespresso coffee machine; in short, everything we needed in one elegant place! We'll be back!